Personal messages

Moderator: Gavlar

Tomsk
GM

Personal messages

Post by Tomsk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:59 pm

I'm a little hesistant to post this,

As I've always used the ethos of 'if you can't do better yourself it's a bit unfair to critacise' and it's entirely possible I'm the one at fault here, as in I'm missing somthing.

But here goes,

The Personal messages on the site, Turns out I missed a few, so if I've not replied to any, sorry I not deliterabately being rude :)

Do you actively have to look at them to see if you've recieved any ? or does it show somwhere that I'm missing ? If you have to look is there any way it can be more obvious you've got somat in your inbox ?

Am I alone here or have others missed some ?

Don't mean to moan :oops:

tentimes
GM

Re: Personal messages

Post by tentimes » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:14 pm

It's sort of a problem with the site combined with a feature of the browser. When you have a personal message TWO things will happen:

(1) An email is sent to the address that you registered with saying "You have a personal message"
(2) A pop-up should appear when you visit the site.

What is happening in you case is:

(1) Either you have changed your email address or your email provider is sticking these mails in the junk folder
(2) Firefox automatically blocks popups. If you enable popups for this site they will start appearing again.

There is a third problem. The "theme" currently in use doesn't highlight PM's; Ant is changing the theme I think, shortly, and that will maybe be the solution, so you can see on the front page without a pop-up that you have a private message.

This might be a good point to advise everyone to check their private messages ;)

Sensible question btw Tom, and a nagging thing I've been meaning to see to for ages.
This is my retro sig from Everquest 2 Beta - design by Aeijn

Merrygrin
GM

Post by Merrygrin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Ooops,

Thanks for the heads up Tomsk. As it turned out I only had one but still.

I would actually think that the email notification does not work. If it does this would be the first site for me that google filters out.

Antonym
NPC

Post by Antonym » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:19 pm

New theme incoming shortly so I'll make sure that we have alerts on properly and verify all of the mail out functionality.

Sinark
boss mob

Post by Sinark » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:21 pm

Noticed this about 2 hours ago as well tom :)

Also very glad to hear were thinking of changing the theme, dont like to be critic but really dont like current theme sorry, dont find it very clear.

Sin

Sinark
boss mob

Post by Sinark » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Just checked my email addy in profile and its correct also checked my spam folder and not getting any emails.
Checked preferences and set to recieve emails but not to pop up messages (which im pretty sure ive never played with).

Hope this helps.
Sin

Tomsk
GM

Post by Tomsk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:58 pm

Cool am glad I'm not alone on this :)

I've definately never had an email that I've received a PM and I've always used the same email address so no clue as to why it's not working for me :)

Antonym
NPC

Post by Antonym » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:10 pm

As you can probably tell the new style is in place with clearer typography, a PM alert in the user bar at the top and integrated font size. Better?

Doradan
NPC

Post by Doradan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Antonym wrote:As you can probably tell the new style is in place with clearer typography, a PM alert in the user bar at the top and integrated font size. Better?

Good grief!!

Was logged in when you did this. Before it was nice and dark and suddenly its like a spotlight in your eyes. Nearly knocked me off me seat!

PM in control bar is good though. I had missed one as well.

:P

A Very Tired Looking Mage

Aeijn
NPC

Post by Aeijn » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:36 pm

lol ur right dors very bright :shock: