Slackers

Post by Graye » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:34 pm

I've got my eye on you!! ;)

Tomsk
GM

Re: Slackers

Post by Tomsk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Hehe how's it going bud ?

I saw you in the thread about ex VG players and made a comment :)

Hope you're not suffering too much in the Queues. I hope they do somthing clever cos squeezing a million peeps on those few servers aint a good idea :)

Graye

Post by Graye » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:48 pm

I got in and reserved my name on a US and EU server. I'll probably skip RIFT for a bit until it thins out a little. The Ques are crazy on all servers right now.

Graye's Contact Info

Below are my toons. Cell for emergency gaming contact is ***-***-****. Email: Wyrewintermute@hotmail.com Also have facebook :)

Game: Vanguard
Server: Telon
Main Char: Graye
Alt Char: Farsot, Rewolf, Elif, Litala...and many more

Game: EQ
Server: Vulak
Main Char: Wuni (cleric)
Alt Char: Graye

Server: Bristlebane
Main Char: Wyre Wintermute
Alt Char: Graye Penumbra, Songann Dance, Farsot Ovader, Ciphrus

Game: EQ2
Server: Butcherblock
Main Char: (None Yet)
Alt Char: (None Yet)

Server: Splitpaw
Main Char: Scarliz
Alt Char: Graye

Game: Rift
Server: Faeblight
Main Char: Graye (Defiant)
Alt Char: Xardox (Defiant)
Alt Char: ??? (Guardian)

Server: Blightweald
Main Char:Graye (Defiant)
Alt Char: ??? (Guardian) Sorry don't remember what I picked for them all =P was a rush.

Game: WoW
Server: Undecided
Main Char: I'm sure my chars before are all gone, so nada here atm

Game: Guildwars

Server: ?????
Main Char: Hellbender

Game: Guildwars 2
Server: ??????
Main Char: (None Yet)

Antonym
NPC

Post by Antonym » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:23 am

Hey Graye :)

Calmethar
NPC

Post by Calmethar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:19 am

Mjello Graye :)

"I've got my fish-eye on you!" :lol:

tentimes
GM

Post by tentimes » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Graye ;)
This is my retro sig from Everquest 2 Beta - design by Aeijn

Duiduli
boss mob

Post by Duiduli » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi Graye, how nice to warn us and let... well atleast me but ignore ready ;)

btw, anyoen else noticed that server names seem ripoff from some known game zones? :twisted:

Graye

Post by Graye » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Soo, this may be a bit of shameless self-promotion but....

A few of you frequenting the RIFT forums may have caught a glimpse of this post by Demethir:
It has always boggled me how quickly people take concepts and polarize them, dividing complex issues into philosophically opposing camps. Arguments like "PvP versus PvE", "Instanced versus Open World", "Theme park versus Sandbox", and "Casual versus Hardcore" force people onto one side or another. Those who can't or won't take the time to see the shades of gray end up passionately defending their adopted position, often at the personal expense of others' opinions. While this behavior certainly goes well with a bag of hot buttered popcorn, the resulting conversations are about as productive as two humping mules.

One of the more polarizing discussions to crop up recently is the difference between DEEP and SHALLOW game design, including which is more "fun", and why. First of all, "fun" is entirely subjective and what one persons enjoys has nothing to do with what other people consider fun. Secondly, these concepts are multifaceted. DEEP does not necessarily mean "difficult" or "time consuming", although some developers certainly use these tactics to create the illusion of depth.

So let's begin with the concept of "FUN". Fun can come from a lot of places, including discovery, excitement, challenge, achievement, socialization, and so on. The only real measure that matters is when something stops being fun and starts being tedious (and it's important to realize that line is different for everyone). It can be both exciting and fun to pick up a sword and decapitate a goblin, but at some point after the 100th, 1000th, or 10000th goblin, the excitement fades. Especially if the game mechanics encourage or reward further goblin slaying, that "fun" experience becomes a TIME CONSUMING task, often described as a "grind". GRIND is typically not fun.

Often times, people suggest that a game with more depth will result in more fun, but what does that mean? A DEEP game, by definition, simply has enough different, "fun" things to do that players don't feel limited in their choices after a time. A DEEP game has enough places to explore, systems to optimize, challenges to over come, discoveries to be made, things to build, and people to talk to that most people won't get bored. A deep game does not have to be DIFFICULT or TIME CONSUMING to achieve these things (although a game with depth will most likely keep people entertained for quite some time). The distinction here is whether the game's mechanics result in "grinds" or not. I can spend years in a DEEP game and never experience a grind, and I can spend days in a SHALLOW game and grind the whole time. It all depends on how the game is designed. Again, this depends partially on personal preference, and partially on how many different ways the game provides a person to expand and grow.

DIFFICULT is probably the easiest concept to understand. Difficulty is a measure of how "hard" something is to do, how tight the constraints are. DIFFICULT is fun to a point because once overcome, it provides a sense of achievement, but it can also be frustrating and TIME CONSUMING in a very "grindy" sense when the bar is set too high. Wiping to one mob 1000 times is just as bad as killing the same mob 1000 times over. I get sick of the mob's face either way. DIFFICULTY also provides the illusion of depth because it extends the longevity of content, but this is a gross misconception. Just because it takes me a month to kill my first level 1 goblin does not mean a game has depth. (Conversely, if I can fell every beast I come across with one blow, the "fun" factor will feel like a grind much sooner) Finding the appropriate level of difficulty for a given set of players is ultimately separate from depth, in this respect.

The last concept is the easiest for people to get hung up on because "time spent" is often inappropriately equated to "grind". I can spend a ton of time in a game because there are lots of things to do (DEEP), because the game is hard (DIFFICULT), or because the developers have included "grindy" requirements to make their content last longer (TIME CONSUMING). A player might stay longer in a game for any of these reasons, but they are apt to have different degrees of fun with each activity depending on their own preferences and moods. (Yes, even a "grind" can be fun sometimes, if a player is in the mood for it!) The main point is in the VALUE of the time spent - whether it was enjoyable or not.
In general, there were a group of us with varied backgrounds, looking for a game that wasn't catering to the "instant gratification" crowd.

If you liked the old EQ1 (sans graphics and archaic mechanics), Vanguard (pre-dumbing down), or the Ideal which RIFT was supposed to deliver yet did not. Stop on over and check us out. Even if you were not a proponent of those games, but have an idea that you feel the main stream companies constantly overlook, this may be a place you would like.

One warning, for those interested in submitting ideas, is that the legal protection and NDA are not active as of yet. As I try to intercept people when they join, feel free to read and post opinions, but refrain from posting anything which you may feel is your own intellectual property until the official announcement about protected rights.

Also bare in mind that there are many people and they may have similar if not almost identical ideas to your own. ;)

The overall goal is to consolidate this information into one place, create the framework for an MMO, and if all goes well, even see life breathed into it. :)

Calmethar
NPC

Post by Calmethar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:08 am

Been following this project of Dem's. Really a great thing underway here!