New PC ....Advice please ?

Moderator: Gavlar

Gavlar
GM

Re: New PC ....Advice please ?

Post by Gavlar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:25 pm

The 400 includes a new power supply, the only hings missing from my list were a box (what 40 quid?), GFX card (150 ish for something decent if youre not taking your old one across), and Id definitely recommend a Solid state Hard Disk (about 150 again).

So you should definitely be able to get something good for approx 700. How old is your current graphics card? I know a lot of folks just upgrade them when theres absolutly no need unless youre playing state of the art FPS stuff.

Depends how this lil lot runs once installed, I'll let you know.

tentimes
GM

Post by tentimes » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:20 pm

I think he doesn't want to build it GAv - hence the full systems. You could get a full system cheaper then the 899 I taslked about, but if you can spend 899 thyen I would spend it - it's worth it over the longer term to buy a fast machine that will do you that couple of years extra.
This is my retro sig from Everquest 2 Beta - design by Aeijn

Tomsk
GM

Post by Tomsk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Right in one way Tentimes, I don't wanna build it.

But Gav's also right in that IF I can get a bud (Lotan) to build it again I will do. It's the home grown versus bought thing I was realy wondering about. Lasttime it was definately consdiered cheaper. But time before that there was a deal I was reccommended that seemed better.

So fishing realy.

Hoping those nasty noises me car mad aren't gonna be very expensive, if so I'll upgrade a few bits instead.
I basically want a shiney thang for Rift when I get on it.

lotan
named mob

Post by lotan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:46 pm

If i member rigtly tomsk you old system was the following

Core 2 Duo Prob 2.4ghz (E6600)
2 or 4 gig DDR2 prob 800mhz as that was the fastest then
Mother board was asus high end one
Power supply was around 600W might of even been a 750W cant remember, think it was modular tho.
and your graphics card was the same as mine at the time which was a ATI 1950XTX
Case is a Antech P90 i think still a nice case loads of room and pratical

I would def get at least a I5 CPU, I run a I7 and to be honnist, it prob is overkill for most stuff, but i would rather have a bit more than a bit less as the price difference between a I5 and I7 isnt a massive amount, mother board wise stay well away from shit like Asrock, MSI, cheap smelly poo like that made in coal sheds out of old bake been tins, I always use Asus but that's my personal preff.
Mother board will set you back around £110 ish for one thats I7 or around £70-90 for one thats a I3/I5

Power supply wise i would buy around a 750W and then that would depend on if your going to buy another gf card at a later date and SLI/crossfire it.
Nivida gf cards use alot more power than ati ones at the moment, little things like that do need to be considered if you dont want to end up upgrading later on when you buy a new toy for your system.
Power supply is going to cost around £60-80 for a good make modular one.

Memory is going to be around £75 ish for DDr3

Graphics card's I just brought a Asus ATI 6870 overclocked edition and that was £190 and it plays everything at the mo on full with no slowdown.
I would spend at least a £150 on a g-card, you can scrimp on CPU ect stuff like that but a good graphics card is a must as you will get pissed off with lag ect.

DVD drives shit like that just get a cheap one £13 ish one will do, no point in that bluray bollix you wont need it.
Same for a case around £70 will get you a nice one, but again they are personal preff i use a antech skelelton as i like the open air desgin and its the coldst case you gonna buy without water cooling and loads of fans.

You can get cases for around £30 but they are normaly thin and the layout is normaly lacking.

hard drive i would def get a SSD one i use a 60GIg ocz vertex 2 one for main OS and everyday progs, but wish i had brought the 120gig one as windows 7 takes fook loads of space (25 gig ish)
60 gig one will cost you around £90 120 gig will be around £140, but again you need to look at the reed/write speeds, as you can get cheaper but they are alot slower and it does make a difference.

£500-600 will get you a heck of a lot of stuff these day's, i never buy pre-built as its not hard to make a pc your-self so why pay somone for doing it....unless your elgarr then i would pay someone to do it.

Dont worrie about an OS as im sure we can find you one /cough cough not that it will be legit but will save you over £100.
Also if you want to save more cash you can go the AMD route, but i normaly go the Intel way, and also use your old PC case and buy claire a cheap one for your old bits.

elgarr you still got to tilt your PC to get it to boot P? lol.

Tomsk
GM

Post by Tomsk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:02 pm

Sounds cool,

Can you deliver it tomorrow please ? pref with Rift beta already installed :)

:lol:

Duiduli
boss mob

Post by Duiduli » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi, as i got bad bad uptgrade feaver here i ghave looked around bit too. And i have just couple toughts here.

Go for i5 760 pros, its newer version of i5 750 and it runs same on normal and better if overclock even bit.. aand its cheaper too,
atleast here it is. The i5 prosessors are made to overclocked says most of rewievs i have read and its guite easy too, they go up to 4 Ghz and stay stable.. alas if mb is ok ofcorse. Most rewievs on mb's recommend midrange gigabyte GA P55M UD2, but hey
asus have couple good boards there too.. like asus p7p 55d pro. Oh btw i5 760 takes less power outta wall also, average 15-20W

On videocard, if you go by best performance per buck i think Zotac GTX 470 AMP is guite close winner at moment, price is atleast here almost same as ATI 6870 OC cards.

I am going with these; (i dotn need case or new PSU as i have Corsair TX 750, wich is more than i will need)
pros intel i5-760 cooler is Scythe Ninja 3 , LGA775/1156/1366.. monster but as i intent to OC so .. 8-)
MB EGVA P55 LE midrange mb without sli/crossfire support but easy to overclock, have 1x pci-e2 and 1600mhz memory supp
mem Corsair 2x2GB, DDR3 1600MHzCL9 note! some mb's like this egva need 2/4 memorysticks to enable dual channel!!
videocard Geforce GTX 470 amd or if i just can hold month or so GTX 580 :roll:

Gavlar
GM

Post by Gavlar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:23 pm

I got a 760 and Gigabyte P55 last month, working great.

tentimes
GM

Post by tentimes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Bah all you lot getting new pooters :( I can't afford one on me disability. Gonna have to rob me some grannies!
This is my retro sig from Everquest 2 Beta - design by Aeijn

Duiduli
boss mob

Post by Duiduli » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 pm

Gavlar wrote:I got a 760 and Gigabyte P55 last month, working great.
Sadly that dam gigabyte p55m gu2 isnt available at here now :evil:

Gavlar
GM

Post by Gavlar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Love Gigabyte boards. We use them at work; dead stable.