New PC ....Advice please ?

Moderator: Gavlar

Tomsk
GM

New PC ....Advice please ?

Post by Tomsk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:38 pm

I've had me pc a good few years now and it's about time I got a new one prolly.

Lotan built me last one, and It's been good. Couldn't even tell you the specs tbh.

Can anyone on here give me an Idea of what I should be aiming for now ? I got's no clue. Anyone know a good place for value for money ? or is it still better to post some money under Lotans rock and see what he pushes out again ?

Bit lost on this one, but I am definately wanting to get somat around Xmas to have a bash at a new game next year.

Any opinions ?

Ta.

tentimes
GM

Re: New PC ....Advice please ?

Post by tentimes » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:52 pm

How much do you want to spend? CAn you build it or do you want pre-built? We can definitely suggest some stuff for you :)
This is my retro sig from Everquest 2 Beta - design by Aeijn

Tomsk
GM

Post by Tomsk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:56 pm

Dunno how much they cost nowadays but for the box itself up to £1000 proly but as little as I can get away with for a machine that'll run a game well.

I've never been technical. But atm I'm totally out of the loop.

Dalla
named mob

Post by Dalla » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:00 pm

will see if Tal can up with anything.. he is normally pretty up on PCs as he sources a lot for work (and is a geek lol)
give him something to do as well

Gavlar
GM

Post by Gavlar » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:23 pm

You really shouldnt need to spend as much as a grand for a pretty strong system Tom.

I just finished speccing a new workhorse system for work using the latest Gigabyte motherboards, and they run great with just a core i5 processor; i7 is just overkill.

Was thinking about changing out my home setup as the E6600 I have in there is getting a bit long in the tooth (built during VG beta iirc).

If I do build one anytime soon I'll bang some spec up.

tentimes
GM

Post by tentimes » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:58 pm

£900 should get you a total flying machine. Aria are a good company to deal with and here is their offering for £899:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming+Ra ... ctId=42394

That machine is more than fast enough for what you want to do and will do you for a few years. People might be able to point out better deals (slightly cheaper) but the thing to consider is whether it's a company you know will give you proper support if things go wrong and won't dissappear with your cash.

Stay away from PC World (ebil!), Overclocker.co.uk, DABS, and probably any company that hasn't got a personal recommendation from someone who knows what they are at.

If you built your own machine you would get a marginally more powerful one for the price, but for someone like yourself who doesn;t want to be involved in the technical side, going with a company that builds good systems is probably the best bet.

In any case, good idea to always buy by credit card rather than debit card as you are covered if anything goes wrong. I always do this then pay the credit card straight after when buying stuff online.
This is my retro sig from Everquest 2 Beta - design by Aeijn

Duiduli
boss mob

Post by Duiduli » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 pm

That package looks really good Ten, specially it have warranty beond if you build one self

mm.. if i only had money atmoment..
Not keeped up with viedo cards lately, but i think that one is best money/quality cards from Nvidia at this time..
and but 2 in box as Rift says they support dual cards :shock:

Tomsk, you might want to consider new screen also if get new videocards.. them HDMI screens are lot better..

Aeijn
NPC

Post by Aeijn » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:42 pm

i recommend a nice 32" telly for a new screen :P

Gavlar
GM

Post by Gavlar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:58 pm

Well I was bored today so ordered up some kit. MB, CPU, RAM and PSU for under 400 smacks should bring me right up to date.

Will update once its arrived and installed.

Tomsk
GM

Post by Tomsk » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:28 pm

Cool :)

Thanks for the input guys. The one thing I am happy with is my monitor. Spent a fair wodge on a big Samsung a while back which is still gorgeous :)

£400 would be great if it can be done for that Gav. But i am talking bout from scrtch not upgrading. So me wench can use this one for work so I'll need the box powersupply and everything. Also obviously a graphics card about which I know nada.