App for (Rift) membership

Join us here

Moderator: Gavlar

Vothron
named mob

App for (Rift) membership

Post by Vothron » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:13 am

Hi All! I'm Matt, and I'm playing a Mage in the Beta of Rift.

I'm based in Devon, I'm 41 in April and have computer gamed since around 1980. I'm also a roleplayer and have lots of fun board gaming with friends in the Exeter / Torbay area - these are things I still want to do, as well as hold on to my job, so I'll probably MMO around 12 hours a week. Ok, I'm a nerd =)

I'm looking for a social and fun Guild that dips into levelling, PvP and raiding but doesn't consider any of these aspects to be a job. Voice chat of some kind is essential and I understand you use Teamspeak.

I've played and run, or been involved with the running of Guilds on UO, DoaC, Eve, Everquest I and II, WoW and LotRO. Probably some others, ahh Asherons Call! Rift has hooked me in a way that hasn't happened since WoW so I'm all set to subscribe. But whatever game it is, it's nothing without a merry band of people to play alongside.

Dungeoning and Raiding I plan to be a pure healer, PVPing an AOE Mage of Doom. Instances were my pure joy in WoW - I look forwards to having a go at one later today.

I've been playing and enjoying LotR online, in which I'm in a pan-european Kinship called The Hummerhorns, we're quite good friends and meet up (last time was a scream in Amsterdam) and I'll be asking them to come over to Rift with me as well - we have an active web page http://thh.dkpsystem.com/news.php, which you're welcome to check out.

I'd very much like to join you and explore and conquer the Rifts. Off now to fall over and sleep!

Matt Prowse / Castagir

Gavlar
GM

Re: App for (Rift) membership

Post by Gavlar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:53 am

Cheers for the app Cast, welcome to the madhouse.

Antonym
NPC

Post by Antonym » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:53 am

Hey bud, welcome,

Tomsk
GM

Post by Tomsk » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Ah a fellow board gamer !

Welcome.

What do you play bud ? I always like a nice simple game of Carcassonne with the misses gone a bit mad on that. We've also just started on Agricola as a group which is great. And we like pretty much anything from Fantasy Flight.....bought far too many planes for Wings of War :)

Vothron
named mob

Post by Vothron » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:44 pm

Tomsk wrote:Ah a fellow board gamer !

Welcome.

What do you play bud ? I always like a nice simple game of Carcassonne with the misses gone a bit mad on that. We've also just started on Agricola as a group which is great. And we like pretty much anything from Fantasy Flight.....bought far too many planes for Wings of War :)
Hey Tomsk - The list is pretty large and i'm adding to it all the time. We have a really fantastic games store in Exeter with a gaming room and lots of people to play games with at weekends. Lots of FF stuff, I really like the new Civilization, Twilight Imperium, Warrior Knights, Arkham Horror, Chaos in the Old World, Seven Wonders...
Agricola has lots of players here, as do hordes of Euro games. I run two 4th Edition DnD games as well, play in a third and may be starting Warhammer Fantasy again as well.

I lived in Tyne and Wear since leaving University, but was made redundant mid 2009. Then I moved back to Devon which has had a really negative impact on salary, but been great for my social and gaming life. I'm a reformed WoW addict, and my only worry about Rift is in playing too much I'll have conflicts in what I can do =)

Tomsk
GM

Post by Tomsk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:36 am

Hehe,

I've always played a few boardgames, and LOADS of pen and paper rpg's but as I'm getting older and slacker they seem justa bit too much work often, plus I'm fed up with always running and not playing Rpg's, my fellow gamers are even slacker than I if you can imagine that !

We've realy only started boardgames more in the last 6 months I guess. We tried Descent which I liked but it felt a bit too much like I was running a game again :) ...the campaign is very good though :)

I love Arkham Horror due to it being a co-operative boardgame. Uncommon but all the better as you're all working together towards a common goal. Do you know any other boardgames like this ?

Agricola is very good imo, made all the better for being less 'blokey' so even the wench likes it.

Having just ordered the new wings of war WW1 delux I think the next one I'm looking forward to most I supose atm is Mansions of madness again from FF. Looks like a combination of Arkham horror and Descent.

Ever tried Junta ? that's our old classic, I don't think I've ever played such a deceitful caniving backstabbing boardgame as that :) bit of a cheap and cheerful feel to it though after all the joy of quality FF games...

Vothron
named mob

Post by Vothron » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Yeah I have Junta - Had an old set but got a new one about ten years ago that's still in good condition. Meet me at the bank at 9:00 tomorrow Mr President!

Also dug out Illuminati the other day, lots of fun but kids today (20's) don't get the 1980's jokes.

Boardgamegeek is the best site for reviews and updates. Seven Wonders is a fast paced Civilization style card game, up to seven players and takes around 30 minutes. Very good fun.